Sunday, December 30, 2012

Day 36 & 37: Emergency Preparedness

Last night's blog post was derailed by an emergency, with my good friend falling on wet stairs and losing his two front teeth! This involved a lot of blood, the emergency room, and very little sleep last night. Luckily, he will be fine and it could have been much worse, but this was still a fairly significant injury. Needless to say, this was not how I had expected to spend my night. I was mostly calm, helpful, and not trying to fight the fact that the night was so unpredictably unpleasant for my good friend and myself. This reaction was in sharp contrast to an experience from earlier in the day involving the New York City subway system, which was the blog post I had planned to write last night before my friend's accident. I had been heading to his apartment in the afternoon and had my travel plans altered by a closed subway line. This unexpected inconvenience meant I had to take three subway lines instead of two, and took me an extra half an hour to get to my friend's apartment. Unlike the true emergency later in the night, this slight inconvenience left me feeling extremely agitated, frustrated, and stressed. Even though I knew that it was not a big deal in the grand scheme of things, my level of agitation felt disproportionate to this minor change in my plans.

I'm great to have along if you get into an emergency situation, but if you are stuck in traffic or lost I tend to have a bad attitude. This left me wondering why I react so differently to these two types situations. Why did I feel so much more negatively toward the slightly bad experience of a closed subway line rather than to the legitimately scary one of a serious accident? I like to plan everything ahead and make great logistical plans, so when they go awry, I get very frustrated. However, in a true emergency I feel calm and focused because there is a problem to be solved and I can't indulge in self-pity or wishing things were different, I just have to act.

5 comments:

  1. I am very similar. Very annoyed with the day to day, but handle emergency and crisis like a charm. I guess the petty crap falls away when bigger issues are at stake. Its the day to day that make me insane at times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear he's OK! Ouchie!

    But, yeah, remember that all the lil parts make the whole, so as I am doing more and more - let it flow, let it go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have a Rescuer personality. It's kind of a "duh" conclusion, but it often comes as a surprise to the "rescuer."

    When there is real rescuing to be done, you're in your element.

    When the chaos is kind of forced upon you by someone else, it pisses you off.

    There are overtones and subtexts of co-dependency associated with this, but I won't pin any of that on you.

    Think about who created chaos in your life - especially in childhood - where the only choice was to react like an Emotional EMT, and put others' needs above your own - I blogged about that a long time ago...

    I won't plug my blog here, but I will say the phrase "Emotional EMT" is a registered trademark. (TM)

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kalil / ...10 years laterJanuary 13, 2023 at 10:38 AM

    Well... this definitely continues to be true for me! Highly agitated by getting lost or other foiled logistics, great in an emergency. And, I guess I'm ok with that these days. Some people are the other way around. We need both skill sets, and we can't all be everything!

    I have become more clear on specialization and that we need community because no one person is good at everything, and that there's no reason we should be striving to be good at everything. That's the whole point of diversity. The forest wouldn't function properly if each species had the same properties. Just as our communities couldn't work if without diverse skill sets.

    Learning more about astrology and human design has been a support in this. When I read my chart and everything is so accurate about my baseline skills and gifts and hangups, and the same is true of others, it's so clear that we are meant to balance each other out.

    These days I'm more clear that I want to lean in to what I am good at, and find help for the things that are harder. And I try to take more deep breaths when the logistics go awry...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember fondly the first time we got lost together. I adore lost and flustered Kalil!

    ReplyDelete