Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Day 54: Either/Or

My thinking often gets stuck in false dichotomies. I imagine that I will either have a job / partner / apartment / body that is perfect (and permanent), or it is entirely meaningless and ugly and terrible. This has never happened to me, and will never happen to me, and yet seems to be a deeply ingrained belief that I hold. I also often set myself up with false choices. For instance, if there are two potential jobs or apartments, I will choose the best option between the two of them, even if I don't really like either one that much. I tell myself that these are my options, and so I choose, rather than thinking about what it is that I truly want, and then trying to pursue that genuine goal, independently of what I can see directly in front of me.

Our society loves to set up these false decisions to keep us from truly thinking outside the boxes that have been set up for us. I know this, and yet often fall into either/or thinking. When I consider work and relationship decisions, there are so many unexplored possibilities that are not pre-packaged options. I think of myself as a creative and innovative person, someone who has certainly defied several binaries that have been placed upon me, and yet I still fall into the either/or trap over and over again. I want to pursue my own dreams, the ones with no predetermined labels, no instruction manual written by someone else. This can only happen if I can grow beyond comparing each choice, each option, each decision within the internal logic of our society. Another world is happening, and I want to live there.

2 comments:

  1. What topic did you decide not to write about in favor of this one?

    I mean... well put and me too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kalil /...10 years laterJanuary 24, 2023 at 2:53 PM

    Yep, brains will still brain is how I think of this now. Like, I have a deeply rooted, highly refined understanding of non-duality through my daily lived experience as a non-binary transgender person, and as an "off-White" person (not White, but often read as White...), and as a Jew. My place is in the margins; I straddle worlds of privilege and oppression; I complexify and debunk binaries just by my presence. And yet, I wake up in either/or thinking time after time after time. So, I'm grateful for this reminder of that either/or hole I keep falling in.

    Watch Out For the Hole!

    ReplyDelete