Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Day 53: Hope

 Sculpture in Berkeley Square, Give and Take III by Lorenzo Quinn. 
Photo © Copyright David Anstiss and licensed for reuse
I am struggling with the idea of maintaining hope while also being unattached to outcomes. I have generally either been very cynical and set my expectations incredibly low so that I wouldn't be disappointed, or been completely idealistic and set my expectations impossibly high. Both of these approaches produced limited results. With very low expectations I was never disappointed, but I was also never truly invested in whatever I was working on. Instead I was detached and disconnected, which did not feel particularly good. On the other hand, when I have had high expectations I have been very committed and engaged, but also controlling and demanding and inevitably disappointed. As I acknowledge the shortcomings of both of these strategies, I am not quite sure what to do instead. I want to continue to hope for and work toward great things in my life, while also accepting everything that happens, whether it resembles what I wanted or not.

This requires spiritual growth that I can glimpse right now, but not fully grasp. Conceptually I understand how you can want something and work toward it, but also accept of  failure. In practice, however, I have never really had this experiences. Now is my opportunity to practice. As I work on my relationships and investing in them in meaningful ways, I have the chance to practice this skill. For instance, as I continue to engage with my family and share my process with them, I hope that some family members will choose to open up and be emotionally vulnerable with me too, and that we will be able to deepen our relationships. I am working to also accept that this may never happen, or that it may happen but in a very different way than how I am imagining it. In the past I have tended towards the extremes of cynicism and idealism, where as now I am trying to find the place of openhearted and engaged realism.

3 comments:

  1. well put.
    i can identify with those two extremes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fede, I'm glad I'm not the only one :)

      Delete
  2. Kalil /...10 year laterJanuary 24, 2023 at 2:45 PM

    This is so well put, and something I still aspire to. I definitely still vacillate between cynicism and idealism, with more tendency toward cynicism. Right now, this vacillation is particularly noticeable in relationship to parenting. Having littles is so overwhelming and thankless and inherently unsustainable in so many ways. And the world feels so tenuous and their futures so volatile. And so the cynicism comes. And then there are those sublime moments of cuddling / reading / crafting together that feel so inspiring and hopeful. And then my mind swings to idealism: The indigo children are here to save us all.

    More realistically, parenting in this time and place is impossible, the future is impossible, and yet possibility eternally and inherently exists in the slow unfurling of new life that I bear witness to as I care for these tiny humans. And herein lies the paradox.

    ReplyDelete