Monday, February 11, 2013

Day 80: Giving to Get

Love illusion by ~Sidux

I met my new baby cousin a couple of days ago and felt so much love for him. He's only six weeks old, and I don't really know anything about his personality, other than that he likes to eat and sleep. The love that I felt for him was definitely irrational, i.e. outside of my rational mind. I was trying to figure out why I feel so strongly towards him, as compared to how I feel in the presence of other babies. Part of it is that I know I'm going to get to watch him grow up, to play a significant role in his life from now until one of us passes on out of this plane of existence. I can't wait to get to talk to him once he can talk, and feel so curious to hear what he will say to me. At this point, all I can really do as far as interacting with him is to give him love. He can't really interact back yet, or only in the most subtle of ways. The love emanating from him feels like that which I feel from any baby, an excited newness of having just arrived in the world. As I consider the amount of time and effort I will put into taking care of him over the next few years, I wonder if it is an investment in some imagined future where I will get to have more interesting reactions with him. Children are fairly uninteresting to me up to about 4 years old, when I start to feel like there's more content to our interactions. This experience made me think about unconditional love.

In general I operate in the mainstream paradigm of giving love to get love, rather than giving love to give love. Sometimes I do not wish to accept another's love because it feels too big, it feels bigger than I could ever give back to them. Accepting that level of care feels like it comes with a responsibility to reciprocate "evenly", to give the same amount of care as I get. And yet, with children and family relationships the paradigm is different. The amount of love feels reciprocal, but the care that represents this love is much more slanted. As the adult, you give so much more than you get, and it feels reasonable. Each person is giving at their capacity, and the adult's is greater than the child's. This seems like a useful structure for all relationships, not just those of children with adults. And yet, I am afraid to receive, afraid that I will not be able to give in kind. Unconditional love, however, is not measured on a scale such as the one I am imagining. Maybe if I act like I know and understand unconditional love, I will eventually get to know and understand it. Giving without keeping track is one piece of this process, as is receiving without judging myself for being the getter rather than the giver. Although I am sometimes discouraged by the long road ahead, I'd rather be heading toward unconditional love than in any other direction.

1 comment:

  1. Kalil /...10 years laterFebruary 18, 2023 at 9:59 AM

    That baby cousin is now 10 years old - yep, math works! And I still love him without really knowing him. When I originally wrote this post, I lived in the same city as the baby's grandparents, and I imagined there would be significant overlap as he grew. Then the grandparents moved, and then I moved, and now I see him 1-2 times per year. The unconditional love is still there, but there isn't the same assumption of my role in his life these days. That is a loss, because I was really excited about having a more connected and consistent role in his life. And it highlights how much of our orientation towards children is based on assumptions about what will unfold and who we will be to each other over time.

    Now that I am a parent, I get training every day in unconditional love, and what it means to be fully committed to someone where reciprocity is not in the realm of what care or support my kids give me, but simply in that we love each other because we are family and tied to each other through daily intimacy, and through the many acts of care and support that I give to them. (With the world so tumultuous these days, I don't feel any of the previous generation's beliefs that someday they'll take care of me when I'm old, that the care and support I offer now will eventually be reciprocated.)

    Through parenthood, my capacity to give has been stretched beyond my wildest imaginings. And while it doesn't feel like a direct correlation, my capacity to receive has also increased significantly from where it was 10 years ago. Asking for help and support is still hard for me, and people offering care still brings up feelings of unworthiness. And I have learned more about discerning if there are unspoken expectations woven in to the other person's offering of care and support, and that it's ok to clarify and say accept that care only when it feels aligned. 10 years ago it felt safer to just say no to all offers of care, and now I have the capacity to consider the offer and say yes at times. And even on rare occasion to ask for care when I need it. Here's to continuing to grow more capacity in this area, and more grounding in receiving the types of care that feel truly supportive to me.

    ReplyDelete