Thursday, February 7, 2013

Day 76: Efficiency vs. Effectiveness

Visual Analytics By PNNL - Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
I have spent so many years honing my efficiency, getting faster and faster at meaningless tasks. I learned this as a child, spending as little time as possible on the busywork they called schoolwork. I had this down to an art. In eighth grade I did my Earth Science homework each morning on the bus to school, French homework during Earth Science class, etc. throughout the day. In this way I passed the day in compliance, but strategically, so that I wouldn't have to do anything else at home later that night. At the time I believed I was playing the system, but I was simultaneously becoming accustomed to it. I was being trained mostly to show up somewhere at the same time each morning, sit quietly, do what I was told, and repress my own natural interests, feelings, and points of attention. And I was complying with this part of the system.

I was efficient at existing within the system, but not effective at creating my own reality. Efficiency is the art of doing any given task in the quickest, easiest way. Effectiveness, on the other hand, is the art of prioritizing the important tasks. When I am effective, I am separate from the mutually agreed-upon systems in which most people operate - the consensus reality that falsely binds our actions. As a child, I was given sets of false choices. Would I rather have broccoli or brussel sprouts? Did I want to do my homework during school or after school? What about learning what I want to learn, eating what I want to eat, and focusing on manifesting whatever it is I want to manifest? Rather than efficiently moving toward other people's goals, I wish to effectively manifest my own.

1 comment:

  1. Kalil /...10 years laterFebruary 14, 2023 at 9:57 PM

    This continues to be a huge growth area for me. I am fantastic at meeting external deadlines and accountability structures, which usually means following other peoples' goals and plans. When it comes to consistent and persistent progress toward my own desires, however, I am flaky and often find myself overwhelmed and frozen. All of that training I received in suppressing my desires and prioritizing meaningless paper pushing activities has deeply impacted my ability to navigate my life for myself. I create and accomplish many personal passion projects and goals, but the level of time, attention, and life force energy that I put into them is always competing with the pull of external structures. And as my older child starts to encounter these same systems as a kindergartener, how I can help support her in continuing to navigate toward her own desires and areas of interest and not lose the capacity through the brainwashing of schooling?

    ReplyDelete