Sunday, November 25, 2012

Guest Post: Snakes and Ladders

Today I was reminded of why I am participating (in a less organized fashion) in this brain rewiring: for my brain, negative thinking is easy, but positive thinking takes practice. After putting in weeks of mental gymnastics to climb the ladder out of a hole, it takes only one line of thought to shoot me back down again. My hope is that, just as I have strengthened my muscles to recover from some nasty physical injuries, I can strengthen the positive areas of my brain to make mental injuries less frequent and less serious.

One of the exercises I was given by a physical therapist to fix an aching shoulder was a breathing exercise to be done lying on the floor--almost an example of "doing by not doing." I think I am now looking for the mental equivalent. 


No comments:

Post a Comment