Sunday, April 7, 2013

The Beginning... of Rebirth

Frozen ruts on Hobb's Lane
© Copyright Evelyn Simak and licensed for reuse
It has been five weeks since my 30th birthday, which marked the end of Phase 1 of rewiring my brain. Since then I've been reflecting on the process of reconnecting my heart, body, mind, and soul, and the changes I have experienced thus far. Mostly I feel better able to communicate and connect with others, more committed to my dreams and goals, and more accepting of my experience of the world. The first 90 days of rewiring my brain was extremely intensive and focused. This allowed me to create new habits and learn to use new tools. It also created a noticeable impact, which helps motivate me to go further on this journey.

I am creating new neural pathways by consciously having thoughts I want to have, by creating new associations for old thoughts, by giving the attention necessary to heal old wounds properly, and by going toward my fears to face them directly. As I picture my brain and the neural pathways I have been consciously adjusting, I can see myself driving down a dirt road, with deep ruts where the cars drive. Normally, I drive in the neural ruts because it's easier, because the wheels are always drifting into them. I picture myself purposefully smoothing out the road by driving on the other parts of it to create new pathways. The three months of daily practice helped me develop new routines and strategies, and established a baseline of care, connection, and health. Now that I have this in place, I feel ready to go deeper into connecting to my heart and soul. Based on the most effective facets of Phase 1, I developed Phase 2, which will be a nine month period of deeper but less time-intensive rewiring. This includes weekly blog posts and conscious conversations, daily mindfulness practices, and exercise, among other things. I look forward to sharing this process with you as we continue along our journeys of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment