Sunday, December 15, 2013

Abundance of Time and Attention

Time Travel Haikus by CityGypsy11
The concept of abundance is one I have struggled with for many years – on a political level and on the level of logistics. Politically, it sounds arrogant to claim that we can all experience abundance when so many people are suffering without enough of the necessities of survival or basic comfort. It also can sound like there is no need for moderation, no need to conserve resources, no need to consider others before taking something. This seemed like the claim of oblivious, privileged people completely out of touch with the reality of most peoples’ lived experiences of poverty and struggle. After many years of encountering this rhetoric of abundance in many different contexts, however, I have a clearer understanding of what this can mean on a spiritual level. There is an abundance of love, an abundance of compassion, an abundance of respect and dignity and worthiness. These are the spiritual necessities of life, and receiving them can often lead to physical sustenance as well, but they are not material items in and of themselves. If I give you my love or compassion or respect, there will not be less of it for another person. None of these will run out or need to be rationed; none have a finite quantity that can be measured. Operating from a framework of abundance means not trying to control or limit others or myself in sharing love, respect, compassion, intimacy, and caring. Over many years of contemplation, practice, development, and experimentation with this idea of abundance, I embrace the truth of spiritual abundance, and have seen the benefits of living my life within a framework of abundance.


I am still struggling, however, with this concept on the level of logistics, especially in the areas of time and attention. While there is an infinite amount of love in the world, there is not an infinite amount of time in which to express that love. And while there is an infinite amount of compassion in the world, there is not an infinite amount of attention that can be dedicated to directing that compassion toward others. On the other hand, I do have experiences where time seems to operate on a different plane than that which I normally experience. Camping, for instance, where days seem to stretch out to unbelievable lengths and the time for hiking, sitting by the fire, chatting, and cuddling seems to go on and on and on. I also have experienced powerful, meaningfully intimate connections in a very short amount of time, such as having a 20-minute conversation with a friend that is life altering. Based on these experiences, I can see the potential for an abundance of time and attention, but am still working to truly believe this. If someone else receives time and attention, I fear that I will lose them. It seems like a zero-sum game, where one must lose for another to gain. I have begun to shift this perception, however, through deepening my understanding of how energy flows. Energy can expand infinitely when we have many deep and meaningful connections, projects, experiences, and adventures. By sharing time and attention with many people and interests, there is a greater flow of creative energy for all relationships and each moment of connection. The abundance of time and attention is actually created through the unique aspects of various experiences, relationships, and points of connection. As my understanding continues to grow, I am slowly shedding my limiting beliefs in this area.

No comments:

Post a Comment